Apply For Alabama TANF
This page provides the Alabama TANF eligibility requirements. Applicants must meet both state and federal guidelines for the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. Individuals who apply for TANF must meet the monetary and non-monetary state guidelines, complete work-related activities, provide paternity information about the children in the household and report as required by the state.
Alabama residents who qualify for welfare are required to furnish information such as citizenship, income, resources, and age. Only household members who are eligible can receive Alabama welfare benefits. Read on for more information about applying for TANF. If you have additional questions or issues about this program, then contact TANF Alabama.
Persons who apply for or receive cash benefits must meet certain requirements. They must help determine eligibility for benefits. They must participate in activities that will help them become able to support their families. This includes cooperating with child support and JOBS. Persons who do not cooperate may be denied or may lose benefits.
- The child must live in the home of a parent or other close relative
- A person can only receive FA benefits as an adult for 5 years in his or her lifetime
- The child must be under age 18 unless in school. If in school, the child may receive benefits through the month before the 19th birthday or the last month in school, whichever is earlier
- The child must be a U.S. citizen or a legal, eligible alien
- The child must live in Alabama. A person who has been convicted of giving a false address to get help from two States at the same time cannot receive benefits for ten years
- The child cannot be receiving foster care from the Department of Human Resources
- The child must not be participating in a strike. No family member may receive FA if a parent or stepparent is on strike.H. The relative must cooperate with Child Support unless the Department decides s/he has a good reason not to. Child support received for a child is assigned to the State Department of Human Resources when an application for FA is made for the child
- The relative must turn over all child support payments to the State
- The relative must give a Social Security number for each member of the assistance unit. If a member does not have a Social Security number, the relative must apply for a number. The number must be provided when received
- The relative must participate in the JOBS program. The relative must accept a job unless the County Department tells him or her otherwise. Parents under age 18 who are dependent children are required to participate
- The relative must apply for any other benefits for which they may be eligible, such as Veteran's Benefits, Social Security, Unemployment Compensation, etc
- A parent who is under age 18 and his or her children must live with an adult. This adult must be a relative or a legal guardian. If an adult relative or guardian is not available, the parent under 18 and his or her children must live in an adult-supervised supportive living arrangement
- The relative must tell the worker about family circumstances. The relative may be asked to prove some or all of the family circumstances with documents
- A parent under age 18 with a child that is at least 12 weeks old must have a high-school diploma or be in school or a training program
- The child or relative must not be breaking a condition of parole or probation. The child or relative must not be a convicted felon who is on the run to avoid arrest, trial or jail. The child or relative must not have been convicted of a felony for the use or sale of a controlled substance or having a controlled substance
- A parent must sign and meet the terms of their Family Responsibility Plan
- The applicant must participate in job search activities during the application process unless exempt or good cause exists not to do so
TANF Financial Requirements
The child must be in need by agency rules and not have parents or step parents who can support him/her. In need means the family does not have net monthly income that equals or is more than the payment standard and is eligible for at least $10. The payment standard is listed below. In determining need, the income of all persons in the assistance unit is counted. Before earned income is counted, a 20% work expense and childcare are subtracted from gross income
Family means all persons included that make up the family size. Generally, persons to be included are the parents and brothers and sisters of the child(ren) living in the home. Other children related to the parent(s) such as stepchildren and nieces, etc. may be included. (If a child in a group of brothers and sisters is included, all his/her brothers and sisters who live in the home must be included if eligible.) The income of all persons in the unit is used to determine eligibility. A family with income that is equal to or more than the payment standard for the family size is not eligible for FA.
|Family Size||Payment Standards|
Where To Apply For TANF
You must apply for FA at the Department of Human Resources in the county where you live. The application interview may start with a general explanation of the program to a group of applicants. You must take part in an in-office, private interview with a worker.
Reporting For Applicants:
You must report any changes in your family's situation before your case is awarded.
Reporting For Recipients:
You must notify the Department of any change in your family's situation within 10 days. You must give the Department all information needed for a complete review at least every twelve months. The County Department may ask for some of the information needed in a group interview with other recipients.
Alabama Employment Search
Part of the requirement, while on the TANF program, is finding a job to help sustain your financial needs. Alabama provides an online job site for you to search for employment. You can view the job site by clicking here.
Apply Online For Alabama TANF
If you have questions about applying for TANF benefits, or you want to see if you can apply for TANF Georgia online, then visit the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families website here.