Apply For Arizona TANF
This page provides the Arizona TANF eligibility requirements. Applicants must meet both state and federal guidelines for the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. Individuals who apply for TANF must meet the monetary and non-monetary state guidelines, complete work-related activities, provide paternity information about the children in the household and report as required by the state.
Arizona residents who qualify for welfare are required to furnish information such as citizenship, income, resources, and age. Only household members who are eligible can receive Arizona welfare benefits. Read on for more information about applying for TANF. If you have additional questions or issues about this program, then contact TANF Arizona.
Do I Qualify for Cash Assistance?
The following individuals may be eligible for Cash Assistance:
- Dependent children under age 19. A child who is 18 must be a full-time high school or vocational school student who is expected to graduate before turning 19
- Parents with dependent children who are in their care
- Specified relatives (grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc.) with dependent children under age 19 who are in their care (Kinship Care)
- Parents of a child who receives Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Individuals in the Kinship Foster Care Program. Participants in this program are referred by the Department of Child Safety, which shares information with the Family Assistance Administration (FAA) to expedite an eligibility determination.
Eligibility factors include:
- Must be a resident of the state of Arizona
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Qualified Noncitizen
- Must complete and sign a Personal Responsibility Agreement that specifies compliance with the Jobs Program and the Division of Child Support Enforcement (DCSE), as well as immunizing children and making sure they attend school
- Must meet income eligibility
- The head-of-household or their spouse may receive no more than 24 months of cash benefits paid in the Arizona CA program, for themselves or on behalf of a child, except in cases of hardship
If you are unsure whether you qualify, you should still apply. Additional eligibility details are found in the Family Assistance Administration (FAA) policy manual. After applying for benefits, you are required to have an eligibility interview, also called a fact-finding interview.
Apply for Family Assistance Benefits
The same application is used to apply for Cash Assistance, AHCCCS Health Insurance (Medical Assistance) and Nutrition Assistance (formerly the Food Stamp Program).
Gather information needed to apply. Whether you are applying for the first time or reapplying, the items listed below MAY be needed to determine eligibility. Tell your Eligibility Interviewer (EI) if you need help finding or showing proof of the documents. Please bring all current information to your interview; this will help to speed up the eligibility process.
- Identification (I.D.) for applicant for Cash Assistance (CA) and Nutrition Assistance (NA)
- Proof of citizenship and identity for everyone who is applying for AHCCCS Health Insurance (Medical Assistance or MA), Cash Assistance (CA), and Nutrition Assistance (NA)
- Alien Registration Cards, if there are non-U.S. citizens in your household
- Social Security numbers for everyone, or proof that a Social Security number has been applied for
- Birth certificates for everyone
- Name, address & daytime phone number of landlord or neighbor
- A statement verifying your address and the names of everyone living with you. The statement must be made by a non-relative who doesn't live with you. It must be signed, dated and include that person's address and telephone number
- Proof of ALL money your household received from any source last month and this month
- Proof that your employment ended and last date paid
- Bank or credit union (savings or checking) complete statement for the most recent month
- Proof of savings bonds, securities, retirement plans and life insurance
- Proof of rent/mortgage and utility bills (electric, water, gas, etc.) for the most recent month
- Proof of child care expenses for the most recent month
- Proof of all medical expenses for those who are age 60 or older or receive disability benefits if they are applying for Nutrition Assistance
- Proof of any medical insurance other than AHCCCS
Step Two: Complete an application for benefits
Ways to apply:
- You may apply online at www.HealthEArizonaPlus.gov
- Note: You can submit much of the information through the online application, but some additional information will need to be faxed to complete the application. Fax cover sheets are provided on the "Providing Documents" tab of Health-E-Arizona Plus Web site
- Download the application and submit by fax or in person to your local Family Assistance Administration (FAA) office. The same application is used when renewing your benefits
- You can request a paper application at your local FAA office, or you can call and ask that an application be mailed
Step Three: Turn in your application
Turning in your application and required documentation starts the process. You can turn in your application in person, by mail, or by fax to your local FAA office or complete an online application. Once they receive your application, they can begin to decide if you qualify for benefits.
After The TANF Application
For Cash Assistance and Nutrition Assistance, you will be contacted for an Eligibility Interview (also called a fact-finding interview). For all programs, if any additional information is needed, you will be contacted by telephone or mail. You will receive your eligibility decision by mail.
Arizona Employment Search
Part of the requirement, while on the TANF program, is finding a job to help sustain your financial needs. Arizona provides an online job site for you to search for employment. You can view the job site by clicking here.
Apply Online For Arizona TANF
If you have questions about applying for TANF benefits, or you want to see if you can apply for TANF Georgia online, then visit the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families website here.